Tuesday 31 March 2009

YOU CANT BE SAVED

Long time no post. Apologies where relevant.

Want some news? How about a new Future Of The Left LP soon? Good enough for ya? FOTL is, for anyone who doesnt know, the new band from Mclusky's Andy Falkous and Jack Egglestone and Jarcrew's Kelson Mathias. Mclusky were the best band you knew nothing about at the time, and I will always feel smug that I saw them a bunch of times before they split.
FOTL put out first album "Curses" in 07, and now they are back back back.
Viddy this from Andy himself -

"the album, she is finished, and will be released on the 22nd June in the UK/Europe and (as far as I'm aware) June 23rd in the rest of the world. Entitled 'travels with myself and another'. it is 33 minutes long and, to use the vernacular, it's fucking skill.
she dances as follows -1. arming eritrea 2. chin music 3. the hope that house built 4. throwing bricks at trains 5. i am civil service 6. land of my formers 7. you need satan more than he needs you 8. that damned fly 9. stand by your manatee 10. yin / post-yin 11. drink nike
12. lapsed catholics"

So yeah. I'm on that.
Video of the new single via youtube, ->



************************************************************

Also the new record by PRE is out soon. It's called "Hope Freaks", Albini's done the recording, the band reckon it's better than the first one, and I'm excited about it.

This song isnt going to be on it, but watch this anyway ->



**************************************************************************

Recently I've been listening to Arab On Radar a bit. They are really good, it just takes a while to get what's going on. I like the way Eric Paul's lyrics are all about some weird psychosexual stuff, and the way he sings them in a slightly disturbing way. It's kind of similar to the way Bobby Swope used to sing for Beirut Slump, although I dont know if that's intentional or anything. The guitars are kind of Captain Beefheart-esque at times, generally very high pitched and screeching. It's a sound that no doubt birthed AIDS Wolf, although they have now taken it to new realms, so AOR can be seen as more accessible. The drums, for example, stay in 4/4 for the most part, which anchors the songs down to a groove. This approach is taken a step further in The Chinese Stars, a new band featuring ex-AOR members, fusing that sound to more danceable grooves while still retaining the guitar abuse and moaning weirdness.

ARAB ON RADAR - GOD IS DAD



I've only heard one of their records all the way through, it's called Rough Day At The Orifice and I think it's great, despite slightly tinny production. It's really hard to find their records anywhere, especially in the real world. They have a DVD called Sunshine For Shady People out on threeoneg, but I cant find that anywhere either. The good news is you can download a few songs for free from the Skingraft Records website.

That's all for now. Maybe more later.
xxx

2 comments:

gabbagabbahey said...

thanks for the FOTL video. I'm more a fan of Shooting at Unarmed Men but looking forward to a new album from these guys too (after all, it took a couple of goes before Jon Chapple made something really great after Mclusky).

gonna link this on my Tumblr: http://hardcorefornerds.tumblr.com/

hypnowave said...

No problem.
Havent been following Chapple so much, although I heard some stuff he did with the "Australia line up" of SAUM recently which was loads better than the earlier stuff. Maybe I should investigate further...
And cheers for the link, I've read your blog a bit, I think it's dead good actually.
D
x